Communities around the world struggle to address violence, poverty, scarce resources and social fragmentation. These realities leave leaders little chance to develop creativity, an untapped local resource with unlimited applications to advance social change. It is through creativity that communities can crack open and analyze problems, develop innovative ideas and enact alternative solutions.
In reaching out to local communities to change attitudes and behaviors, educators, advocates and organizations face many challenges: How do they communicate their work in an accessible and culturally relevant way? How do they build widespread participation when racial, ethnic and religious tensions prevail? How can they promote dialogue around complex environmental and social issues? ArtCorps' creative leadership approach is a platform for education, engagement and empowerment.
Art is a powerful and universal communicator. The creative process of art:
- Attracts interest and builds trust
- Educates creatively
- Helps people express different points of view
- Establishes a process of shared power and decision-making
- Creates an environment where all participants make decisions together
- Encourages critical thinking
- Builds confidence and embraces many types of intelligence